Tuesday, July 15, 2008

When God fills the room...

Sometimes we forget that God is always with us even when we can't feel him. I lead a Bible Study through the BCM here at school. Last night we were supposed to be studying Colossians 2. If any of you have read it, the gist is God has forgiven every sin (past, present, and future). We must simply repent, and truly mean that we are making a conscious effort not to commit it again, and the sin is erased from our record. God does not hold them against us. It seems so easy but in reality it can be the hardest thing to comprehend at times. God laid a special request on my heart last night after knowing where my ladies' hearts have been. God asked me to construct a construction paper cross on my wall, grass included, and have a different kind of time. At the top of the cross it says, "Jesus we come to you humbly asking you to take our sins and burdens and make them yours." We spent time praying individually to God, for ourselves and for the others God laid on our hearts. My little sister, Rachel, played an amazing song that truly captured our hearts. God did some amazing work last night. At the close of our time together, we sat in a circle and prayed for each other and put our requests at the foot of that cross. We taped our requests to the cross asking God to truly take them and help us deal with it.

It sounds so cheesy, so simple, but honestly it was amazing. I've done it before but each time there is something I need to be rid of. One of my requests was asking God to take my life, my health, into his hands completely and helping me to deal with it. I could be so bitter with God about all of my medical problems but then I stop and realize what is being done through this. Sure I have yet to find out what is wrong with me but I've grown up a lot, grown stronger in my faith, closer to God, and been able to share the hard times with others. I've had many surgeries and other medical problems but it wasn't until I've had this mystery illness over the last year that I truly have had to ask God to have complete control over my health. I made my request known to God.

A verse we read last night is Isaiah 40:31,
but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

God gives us the strength to fight anything that comes our way. Another great passage is Psalm 23. God tells us he is there to provide guidance, grace, mercy, love, and so much more. We just have to make our requests known.

I encourage each of you to find an accountability partner, pray and share with this person. You'll see a difference in how you can fight off temptation and the devil. Please let me know how I can pray for you. I will be diligent in praying for you and your requests. Prayer is Powerful. Try it out, and continue praying until God has answered you, whether it be the answer you wanted or not.

Check out Meredith Andrews on Youtube. She has some amazing songs. One in particular is You are not alone.

Enjoy the time God has given you. And remember: if your too busy for God, then your busier than God intended for you to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of that cross! In fact, I might even use it sometime. :) Also, Isaiah 40:31 is one of my fav. verses. I learned it two years ago and it has stuck with me.

-Sarah