For most of you that keep up with my life, you know that I have spent the last week of my life in the hospital. I'll take a few minutes to explain what happened to help with any confusion going on.
Sunday night/ Monday morning - I had been up all night vomiting and feeling like I could barely move. I was running a fever of 102 with headaches that could not be explained (they were going on 3 weeks). Monday I woke up and tried to go to my internship as though nothing was wrong. It was my last two days with my kids and I wanted to be there. Well needless to say I made it til around 11:30 when I could no longer sit up without being miserable. I went home, went to bed, and wanted for the doctors appt. At 3:30pm I went in to see the doctor, Sarah and Lorra took me because driving really wasn't a good idea. The doctor came in with great concern on her face as she told me that my heart rate was over 120 and this was never good. She rechecked and I was hitting 130 at times. EKG showed nothing abnormal besides a fast heart beat. She was concerned because of the other symptoms so she decided sending me by ambulance was the best solution to make sure nothing went wrong on the ride there. I entered the ER with lots of tests to be done and questions to be answered. (you never realize but they ask the same questions 1000 times when you are at the hospital longer than 3 hrs) I was admitted to the hospital for what was thought to be a one night stay, just kidding. My heart rate had it over 150 at times during my stay and my white blood cell count was 14,000 (should be between 5,000 and 8,000). I wasn't allowed to leave without being fever free for 24hrs. We were in the hospital until Wednesday afternoon. I was discharged and had I hopes that I would return to my normal life on Thursday. We didn't make it back to my apt before I was sick all over again and could not sit up on my own without vomiting. We had a new problem on our heads and I probably should never have been released from the hospital at that point. My parents took me back to the primary care doctor, who is amazing by the way, and she said without a question I needed to be readmitted to the hospital. Since I did not like Fl Hospital and my parents felt more comfortable with being closer to home and me at Mayo they took me in what seemed like the longest ride to them from Orlando to Jacksonville. I was readmitted to Mayo on Wednesday night and ended up there until Saturday afternoon. What for? Well I had a spinal tap done on Monday night in the ER and the hole from it did not close up resulting in spinal fluid leaking and causing severe headaches, like you've never felt before, and vomiting. I was pumped with bags of caffeine and fluids, lots of blood taken, EKGs done, CT scans, X-rays, you name it I was bound to get it. I had multiple teams of doctors working to figure out what was wrong with me. They said we may never know the cause of what originally put me in the hospital but at least I am getting better. I will resume what will become my normal life tomorrow. A new full time job that is being patient since I was supposed to start last week but well couldn't. Saturday I will walk at my college graduation and then begin my Masters a week later. God had a mighty plan through all of this, one I have yet to figure out.
Hope you have a better understanding of what went on last week. I'll post later about what I've learned and how I've felt.
No comments:
Post a Comment